Forms and Consents
Chemical Peel - Before and Aftercare Instructions
Our office performs a range of several different peels, depending on your needs, downtime, and skin sensitivity.
* Sensi Peel - $150 take-home kit included (or package of 3 for $410 take-home kits including): The gentlest of our peels, which improves mild breakouts and skin tone. This is safe for all skin types, including rosacea patients. There is very little downtime and no true peeling with this peel. It provides a nice glow and refreshes dull skin. It can be repeated as desired. (Contains 12% lactic acid and 6% trichloracetic acid).
* PCA Peel with hydroquinone (and Resorcinol) - $225 (or package of 3 for $645): This peel is best for treating acne breakouts and discoloration, such as melasma or freckles. It can be repeated every 2-3 weeks for the best results. A series of 6 peels is common. (Contains 2% hydroquinone, 14% lactic acid, 14% salicylic acid, 3% kojic acid, citric acid, resorcinol, and a retinol leave-on booster).
* PCA Body Peel - $215 per area (or package of 3 for $615): This peel is designed to penetrate the skin of the back, chest, or arms. It is our favorite addition for rapid improvement of back or chest acne, but it also improves freckling or mild discoloration in these areas. It can be repeated every 2-3 weeks for additional results.
* TCA (Trichloracetic Acid) Peel - $450: This is our strongest peel, which helps to improve fine lines, wrinkles, and overall aging skin. One peel often gives results, but it can be repeated monthly for several months in order to achieve maximum results. This peel cannot be performed on darker skin.
BEFORE YOUR TREATMENT:
*Avoid sun exposure or tanning beds for 2 weeks before your treatment. A daily topical antioxidant (such as CE Ferulic or Phloretin CF, available at the front desk) is also recommended for best healing and results.
*For optimal results, we recommend pretreatment with Retin-A, Retinol, or other retinoid products for at least 2 weeks prior (the longer, the better). However, these medications should be stopped around 2-3 days before your peel, to minimize burning and stinging with the procedure.
*Waxing and/or use of chemical depilatories should be avoided for 1-2 weeks prior to peels. Shaving and threading is allowed, as long as there is no skin irritation.
*If you have a history of cold sores, notify our office at the time of your peel for prescription medicine.
*Bring a wide-brimmed hat or large umbrella to your appointment for sun protection right after your peel.
*Wear a comfortable, washable top that does not have a high neckline for your procedure.
AFTER YOUR TREATMENT:
*Immediately after, there may be mild redness in the area, similar to a mild sunburn, which may last from several hours to 2 days. For most patients, peeling begins 2 days after the peel and lasts 2-7 days, depending on the type of peel. Don’t worry if you don’t peel at all, which is not expected after the Sensi Peel. Sometimes, effective peels on the skin in good condition will not go through the peeling process. The skin may only look rosy and have a healthy glow after treatment.
*It is important to wear sunscreen at all times during daylight hours for at least 2 weeks after. Ultraviolet radiation also comes through the windows and from fluorescent lights, so wear sunscreen even if you are staying inside. Exposure to even small amounts of sunlight can cause brown discolored patches on the skin.
*Wash the face gently with your fingertips and a mild cleanser (included in the take-home kit) twice daily.
* Apply a mild, thick moisturizing cream (included in the take-home kit) at least
twice daily. You may apply it more often if desired. Extremely dry patches can be treated with a healing ointment/balm (available for purchase).
*Do not pick at or peel the healing skin. This could cause excessive redness or scarring. The skin will
slough off when it is ready.
*You can apply makeup if desired, although this may exaggerate the look of the peeling skin. Do not scrub the makeup off to remove it. It may remain on some dried skin patches but will come off with the sloughing.
*Avoid glycolic washes, Retin-A, Clarisonic, or other anti-aging products until your skin is fully healed.